Justice Sunanda Bhandari Forum for Natural Resources Law at the WB National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata is going to organize the National Seminar on Legal Aspects of Animal Welfare.
Date: 9th - 10th September, 2016
Venue: The WB National University of Juridical Sciences, 12, LB Block, Sec III, Salt Lake, Kolkata
About the Conference:
Human society is faced with the challenge to redefine our understanding of development so that our recognition and protection of the rights of animals is as much an indicator of our level of progress as our recognition and protection of the rights of human beings.
Evolution teaches mankind to accept the commonalities between human and non-humans. Science has proved that animals can no longer be assumed as mere commodities for the benefit of humans. Animals may not be able to express their feelings and interest or claim their rights from us in a similar language as we humans do; nonetheless their existence is beyond question. Animals seek to protect their own lives, preserve their freedom, and avoid what caused them pain according to their own priorities.
As individuals, animals possess and express distinguishing characteristics, however vastly their lives may differ from us; they are in many ways akin to humans. The exploitation of animals by human beings is as deeply entrenched in human culture in the 21st century as the exploitation of our fellow human beings was in the last centuries. The assumption that animals cannot have rights because we still have not given them is an absurd radical belief which ought to change.
Themes of the Conference:
- Animals in customs, traditions and religions
- Do animals have rights beyond species? Are they to be considered / treated as individuals entitled to life and liberty - and if yes, how do we differentiate between species?
- Are animals to be addressed mostly in context of perceived utility to humans, from food to companion animals? (Economy-agriculture, dairy, entertainment industry, circus, racing and hunting, sports, etc., transportation of livestock, slaughter houses)
- Animals in Cages and Captivity - Zoo Animals, Companion Animals
- Animals in drugs and cosmetics experiments etc.
- Animals as property - ownership and liability (Jurisprudential aspect - companion and stray animals)
- Biodiversity and the right of species as whole to survive and perpetuate. [Poaching and habitat, genetic modification]
- Is there a need to have separate conventions to protect animal rights? [Comparative statutory laws / policies on Animal welfare and protection (emerging issues)]
- Man and Animal Conflict (lack of prey, animal corridor, land enclosures, etc.)
- Application of sustainable development principles on animals, land enclosures and animal / wildlife protection.
Call for Papers:
Those who are interested in presenting a paper on any of the above themes must send an Abstract of 300 words along with a brief biographical note (not more than 300 words). The full length paper should be between 5,000 - 7,000 words.
If the full length paper is not submitted before the last date, authors will not be allowed to present the paper in the Conference. Submission of the full paper would be presumed as unconditional consent of the author(s) for a possible publication by the organizers.
A registration fee of Rs. 700/- shall be charged to the participants. All the participants must register their name by email communication to any one of the student co-ordinators by 31st August, 2016. Due to the financial constraints, organizers are not in a position to provide any support regarding transportation or accommodation of participants.
Note: Certificate would be issued to only those participants who attend all sessions.
Last date for submission of Abstract:
8th August, 2016
The acceptance of the paper for presentation would be informed by:
10th August, 2016
Last date for submission of Full Paper:
2nd September, 2016
Mr. Saurabh Kumar
Ms. Anushree Malaviya
Ms. Mercy K. Khaute
Assistant Professor (Law)
Phone: 033-25694700 (ext. 7090), +91-9874979794
The WB National University of Juridical Sciences
12, LB Block, Sec III, Salt Lake,
Kolkata - 700098