Fully Funded: Young Leaders Access Program in the USA
The YLA brings together youth from all over the world, united by the goal of creating positive change in their communities. It is a one year program comprised of three components:
- The YLA Retreat
- Project Implementation
- Alumni Mentorship and Support
The YLA launches with the Retreat in late July, held in New York, NY and Burlington, Vermont. It consists of three modules: Modern Leadership, Global Citizenship, and Local Change. During the final phase of the retreat, Young Leaders will create a unique action plan to address an issue in his/her community. Over the following year, Young Leaders implement their plans while being guided remotely through online workshops and a Mentor from the Young Leaders alumni community. Once Young Leaders have successfully completed the YLA they are eligible to apply for the Alumni Ventures Fund which awards grants of up to $5,000 USD with a year of professional mentorship.
The application process will consist of three rounds: the general application, a brief needs assessment, and an alumni interview.
The general application opens on October 31, 2017 and is open to any eligible persons. Shortlist candidates will be asked to submit a brief needs assessment which will outline their community issue and potential solutions in greater detail. Candidates who complete the second round will be contacted for an interview with alumni of the program. Selected participants will be notified of their acceptance on April 2, 2018.
Young Leaders Must:
- Be between the ages of 18-26 years old
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Have access to email or another internet platform that allows consistent communication with the MCW team and mentor for the duration of the year-long program
- Demonstrate commitment to their community
- Identify an issue faced by their community they would like to address
- Commit to attending the weeklong retreat and spending the following year implementing change in their community and staying in contact with their mentor
- Be eligible for appropriate visa and travel documentation
- Submit completed application on or before January 2, 2018
- October 31, 2017: Application I Opens
- January 2, 2018 at 11:59 New York Time (NYT): Application I Closes
- February 2, 2018: Decisions Sent out, Short List Candidates Notified and begin Application Part II
- February 25, 2018 at 11:59 New York Time (NYT): Application II Closes
- March 2-30, 2018: Interviews with Alumni
- April 2, 2018: Acceptances Sent Out
- May 4, 2018: Confirm Acceptance with Visa Interview Date and Deposit
- July 24, 2018- August 2, 2018 : YLA Retreat
- August 2, 2018- July 24, 2019: YLA Implementation
The YLA Application is hosted on Google Forms. This means that you must have a gmail account to fill out the application. If you do not already have a Gmail account you can sign up for one for free. The application consists of the following:
- General Information
- Essay Questions
- Resume/ CV- You must upload your resume/ CV directly into the application in PDF format
- Two Letters of Recommendation- You must upload your letters of recommendation directly into the application in PDF format
- Liability Waiver
In an effort to make the program accessible to all individuals the Young Leaders Access Program MCW will cover all program costs and all flight costs for every accepted participant. This means that MCW will cover all costs during the program (July 24- August 2, 2018 ) including housing, food, travel, and any necessary supplies.
Click HERE to apply!
Latest posts by Legal Desire (see all)
- IASLA Space Law Moot Court Competition (Asia Pacific Rounds 2018); Register here - January 19, 2018
- GLC MUN: Government Law College Model United Nations Conference 2018 - January 19, 2018
- The Asymmetric Shock: Model World Economic Forum at Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad - January 19, 2018