Location: New York, United States of America.
Date: September 22, 2016.
Type: Fully Funded.
Applications are currently accepted for participation in the 2016 Global Citizen Youth Advocates’ Symposium taking place the same week as the Global Citizen Festival. Global Citizen will host the first-ever Youth Advocates Symposium on September 22, 2016.
The symposium will bring together young activists from around the globe with diverse campaigning and advocacy backgrounds. It will allow for an engaging exchange of experience, strategies and practices geared towards addressing pressing global issues, as outlined by the United Nations’ Global Goals.
This all-expenses paid trip will not only provide exceptional young advocates with direct exposure to the work of Global Citizen and skilled development practitioners, but also equip them with innovative tools and knowledge for effective methods of campaigning.
Each award winner will receive:
- 1 pass to participate in the Global Citizen Youth Advocates Symposium with leading business, media and development practitioners, to learn the ins-and-outs of campaigning in support of the Global Goals;
- 1 Global Citizen campaign-in-a-box toolkit;
- 1 ticket to Global Citizen: The World on Stage on September 22, 2016;
- 1 ticket to the 2016 Global Citizen Festival on September 24, 2016;
- A video feature created by Global Citizen to be promoted through Global Citizen channels;
- Airfare and accommodations in New York.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the Global Citizen Youth Advocates Symposium:
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18-35 at the time of entry.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
- Applicants can be citizens of any nationality.
- Applicants must be able to speak and interact in English.
- Applicants must have experience in working on issues in their local community related to one or more Global Citizen priority issue.
- Applicants must have a clear idea of how their participation in this training will go beyond them and benefit the communities they work with.
- Applicants must submit a recommendation letter from a mentor or colleague.
- Applicants must hold a valid passport and are responsible for any requisite visas required to travel to New York City, for the period 21-25 September 2016.
- Applicants must commit to:
- Attending the Global Citizen: The World on Stage on 22 September 26 in New York;
- Attending 2016 Global Citizen Festival on 24 September 2016 in New York;
- Agree to provide regular written updates to Global Citizen on their work following the symposium.
Applicants are evaluated based on:
- Experience campaigning on issues in their local community related to one or more of the following Global Goals.
- Food & Hunger
- Girls & Women
- Sanitation & Water
- A clear idea of how their participation in this training will go beyond them and benefit the communities they work with.
- An understanding of the values and practices of global citizenship.