MoneyGram is a global provider of innovative money transfer services and is recognized worldwide as a financial connection to friends and family. MoneyGram is hiring for Legal Counsel position.
The Legal Counsel provides advice and assistance to corporate management, the VP Associate General Counsel, and others in managing the daily issues that have a legal impact on the MoneyGram business. The incumbent will be responsible for providing comprehensive corporate, regulatory and commercial legal advice across multiple jurisdictions to designated business development team and corporate business units where appropriate.
- Supports the line manager by assisting in the provision of general corporate and commercial legal and regulatory advice across designated teams.
- Assists in the negotiation, drafting and amendment of standard agreements for potential Agents across multiple jurisdictions in conjunction with the relevant business teams.
- Assists in the review and negotiation of all other contractual arrangements of the group.
- Advises the business on legal and regulatory matters, in conjunction with local counsel, in relation to the provision of MoneyGram services in each of its applicable jurisdictions.
- Obtains advice, performs research and drafts memoranda on legal aspects of the roll-out of new products and the development of new distribution channels.
- Collaborates closely with the Compliance department in ensuring the provision of MoneyGram services are made in accordance with Anti-Money Laundering requirements in the relevant jurisdictions.
- Assists with the management of litigation processes and liaison with outside counsel as required.
- Effectively instructs and manages outside counsel in multiple jurisdictions.
- Assists in the development of internal procedures and best practice and compilation of precedents and know how.
- Supports the legal review of proposed advertisements and marketing materials (print, radio, TV) to ensure compliance with local laws and Company advertising guidelines.
- Assists with mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures and related integration processes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of relevant education and experience and/or related professional designations/certifications in this field is highly desirable.
- Minimum Required: Appropriate legal qualification and admission to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
- 5+ years’ experience functioning as an attorney in a law firm or as in-house legal counsel.
- Independent thinking skills.
- Ability to effectively handle conflict and stressful situations.
- Strong organizational skills; demonstrated ability to handle multiple and changing tasks simultaneously.
- Experience in contract drafting and negotiation.
- Familiarity with common law principles of contract law.
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills able to influence and persuade in decision making processes both internally and externally.
- Ability to work with key business partners and put legal analysis in its proper commercial context in order to maximize business results for all parties.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a legal team with some direct supervision, within company guidelines and department policies.
- Ability to draft clear, professional and legally robust correspondence, contractual documentation, policies and other documentation.
- Ability to build and maintain good relationships both internally and externally at all levels.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse and changing environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and/or sensitive business information.
- Proficient in Microsoft suite of packages – Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in the following areas: cross-border transactions, financial services regulations, management of outside counsel would be highly advantageous.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Fluency in a second language would be advantageous.
Primary Location Mumbai-Maharashtra-India
Work Locations: IN_Corp_Mumbai_A Wing Unit 501
A Wing Unit 501 5th floor, One BKC