Call for Papers : International Seminar on Judicial Ethics
About the seminar
MATS Law School proudly announces International Seminar on Judicial Ethics in MATS University, Raipur Chhattisgarh.
The seminar intends to provide a platform to the members of the judiciary (who have no platform otherwise) to speak out for themselves and their institutions without fear or favour as a purely academic venture which in the end is effective enough to communicate to all stake holders e.g. the Public, Litigants, Executive, Legislatures, Judges (serving as well as retired); to come forward and to suggest ways and means to uproot and do away with these calumnies and onslaught on the system which is back bone of the entire fabric.
THEME 1 – Judicial Power – Judge as God, Divine Structure
- Impartiality and Dispassionateness.
- Willingness to listen with open minds, Hallet Syndrome (over talkative judges)
- Respect to Procedural Law.
- Knowledge of Evidence.
- Justice according to Law, according to Judges individual sense of Justice over individual and society and need of Judicial Ethics.
- Restatement of values of Judicial life.
- Article 129/ 215 of the Indian Constitution.
- Contempt of Courts Act 1971.
- Identification of standards to which Judges must be held.
- Mechanism to ensure adherence.
- Speech, Expression, Contempt and Truth
- Executive Judiciary and Parliament- Harare Principle 1998.
THEME 2 – Judicial Codes
- Desirability of Judicial Code.
- Content of Judicial Code.
- Enforceability of Judicial Code by Legislature.
- Body of Judges.
- Media overview of Judicial Conduct.
- Judicial scandals and erosion of public confidence
- Unaccepted behavior of the Judges.
- Graduated level of sanction for Breach of Conduct
- Montreal Universal Declaration 2010.
- UN basic Principles of Judicial. Independence 1985
- Burgh House Principles.
- IBA minimum standards of Judicial Independence.
THEME 3 – Judicial Independence
- Security of Tenure.
- Undermining respect of Constitution.
- Those that put to risk theimpartiality in deciding Constitution cases.
- Ethics at Courts and at Home
- Judicial Independence and Accountability
- Courts ought not to protect guilty Judges.
- RTI and non-disclosure of assets.
- RTI, Medical Bill and Privacy of Judges.
- Bar – Bench Relation.
THEME 4 – Judicial Ethics and Beneficiaries
- Judicial Ethics Myths and Reality.
- Values and Ethics in Judiciary- Objectivity/ Subjectivity, Dispassionate, Integrity, Propriety, Equality, Competence, Diligence and Bangalore principle of Judicial Conduct.
- Canons of Judicial Ethics.
- Corruption and Judiciary
- Immunity of the Judges from arrest and harassment
- Social values and Judicial Ethics.
- Uncle Practice in Court by wife, children &juniors of the Judges.
- Proxy Practice.
- Hob nabbing for higher jobs and elevation.
THEME 5 – Ethical Awareness and Judicial Education Updating Knowledge
- Lack of forum for discussion of judicial conduct within Judiciary.
- Slavery and subordination of Judges of subordinate Courts.
- Censure by Community.
- Public perception can tarnish the Ethical Judge and Corrupt Judge same way.
- Community involvement of Judges.
- Judges Advocating certain cause.
- Judges acting as character witness.
- Ethical Realities.
- Rural Judges.
- Judges being drawn into sensitive social issues.
- Extra Judicial Statement or Speeches; Public comment to Press.
The registration fees of Rs 1500/- is to be paid through Demand Draft in the favor of “MATS University, Raipur”, payable at Raipur on or before December 14, 2015. In case of co-authorship, registration fees has to be submitted by both the authors separately.
Procedure for Submission of abstracts
Your abstract (of about 300 words) should be sent as an attachment. The following information, in the given format, should be sent along with the abstract:
- Name of Delegate
- Official Designation
- Address and email id
- Title of Abstract
Email your abstract to [email protected]
The subject line of your message should read: ABSTRACT 2016: [YOUR NAME]
(All abstracts will be peer-reviewed before they are accepted.)
The selection of the Articles for the publication will be at the discretion of the Editors.
Boarding & Lodging
No TA/DA shall be paid to the participants except free accommodation, hospitality and food in the University Campus.
For Abstract of 300 words: November 30th, 2015
For approval of Abstract: December 7th, 2015
Payment of registration fees and submission of form: December 14, 2015
Submission of the full paper is January 30th, 2016.
Visit: www.judicialethicssite.wordpress.com for more details
Latest posts by Mahak Rathee (see all)
- Bodies floating on Ganga: NGT slams Centre, UP govt - January 19, 2016
- Nepali youth committed suicide after beinghumiliated by a Supreme Court lawyer - January 19, 2016
- All you need to know about NJAC Judgment - January 17, 2016