The Police is a key agency of the Criminal Justice administration and responsible for performing multi-facet functions such ‘as’ the prevention of crime, maintenance of law and order, conduct of investigation of crimes, production of under trials before the Courts and post sentence surveillance over the criminals, etc. In view of the functional ‘peculiarities the Police tends to become the frontal’ formal agency to come in contact, with the raw realities a/crime including the accused and the victims.
The Police, functions within the legal framework of the Constitutional and the Municipal Laws that comprise mainly of the Constitution of India, 1950; The Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973; The Indian Evidence Act, 1872; The Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 and the Police Act etc. Apart from this, the Supreme Court Judgments also play vital role. Judgments of the Supreme Court of India which are accorded the highest precedential value in terms of the Article 141 of the Constitution which reads: The Law declared by the Supreme Court shall be binding on all courts within ‘the Territory of India”. Thus for all the courts as well as, other State agencies, the Supreme court, rulings, constitute the binding law, violation of which can ‘entail contempt proceedings’. Similarly, for the concerned State the judgments of the relevant High Court constitute the binding law.
All this accords to the large number of Supreme Court and High Court rulings relating to the various aspects of Police functioning immense significance not only for the legal professionals, but also for the rank and file of the Police Force. This book is proposed to design for reference of police officer in terms of judicial pronouncements.
Call for Chapters:
Professors, Researchers, Practitioners and Law Students are invited to submit Chapters. All submitted chapters will be reviewed on a double-blind peer review basis. Authors are encouraged to include original works.
Each article must discuss / analyze under mention topic’s with latest judicial (landmark Supreme Court and High Court judgments) and legal position.
- Important Rules of the Supreme Court and High Court related to FIR, Arrest, Custody, Bail, Search and Seizure, Hostile Witnesses, Interrogation, Handcuffing and Security, Remand, Charge-Sheet, Intervention by the Magistrate or the Executive, etc.
- Territorial Jurisdiction and powers of Investigation, Procedure to be followed when arresting a person outside state
- Court Rulings related to Investigation of cases
- Provisions regarding medical examination of Accused / Victim
- Role of police in Civil Matters
- Role of police in high profile crimes
- Evidentiary Issues: Recording of Confessions, Confessions under the Influence of Police, Recording of Dying Declaration, Police as Witness – Trap Witness etc, Use of Case Diary in Trial, Evidentiary value of site plan, surveillance, phone tapping
- Court rulings related to use of Forensic Science in Investigation of cases with special reference to Polygraph, Narco-analysis, DNA, and Cyber Forensics etc.
- Other rulings related to Power of Police Surveillance, Sanction of Route for religious procession, Permission to organize Public Meeting, Licensing places of Public Entertainment, Directions for providing Police Security, Limitation incompliant / Suit against Police personal, Regulating Horse-racing and Gaming, etc.
- Courts on Police Reforms in India
- Police atrocities and fake encounters
- Human Rights of Police and Judiciary
- Other relevant aspects covering objective of book which are not covered above
These guidelines are intended to help you with the preparation of your manuscript.
- Abstract: All the entries should be accompanied by an abstract which should not exceed 200 words, Font size 10.
- Key Words: At least five key words must be mentioned in all the entries.
- Main Text: Manuscript length should be of 8,000 to 10,000 words (exclusive of footnotes and abstract). Times New Roman, Font size 12, 1.5 spacing, Justified, with a margin of an inch on all sides.
- Foot Note: Times New Roman, Font size 10. Both single authored and Co-authors (a maximum of two authors) entries will be accepted. Blue Book Citation Style
- Submission Declaration: Submission of an chapter implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, it will not be published elsewhere including electronically in the same form, in English or in any other language, without the written consent of the copyright-holder.
- Plagiarism: The authors are required to take special care in citing all the sources that they will refer to in their submissions. Submission of a chapter implies that the work is original and not plagiarized in any manner. If any plagiarism shall be found only authors of chapter will be responsible.
- Contributors: All authors must have materially participated in the research and/or article preparation. The statement that all authors have approved the final article should be true and included in the disclosure.
- Publisher Details: The book shall be published by Manakin Press, an International Publisher having ISBN.
- No hidden fees for Publication
- E-reprint of Chapter shall be provided to contributors
- One copy of the book shall be provided to contributor with 50% of discount.
Authors are requested to submit their manuscript electronically on or before 15th May, 2015.
Dr. Mithilesh Narayan Bhatt
Assistant Professor of Law,
Department of Law, Sardar Patel University of Police, Security and Criminal Justice,
Opp. Gramin (Rural) Police Line, Daijar,
Jodhpur – 342304, Rajasthan
Latest posts by Legal Desire (see all)
- International Thematic Conference – 23rd to 25th of June – Prizes over 50K to be won - May 21, 2017
- Law College Dehradun,2nd National Moot Court Competition on Constitutional Law [6-8 OCT, Prizes Worth 1 Lac]: Register by AUG 7 - May 21, 2017
- Know the India’s Highest Paying Jobs in Law - May 20, 2017