Centre for Transnational Commercial Law (CTCL) at National Law University, Delhi is going to conduct the GIAN Course on Cross-Border Business Law and Practice.
Date: 10th – 23rd October, 2016
Venue: National Law University-Delhi, Sector 14, Dwarka, New Delhi
The Government of India has approved a new program titled Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) in Higher Education aimed at tapping the talent pool of scientists and entrepreneurs, Internationally to encourage their engagement with the institutes of Higher Education in India so as to augment the country’s existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of quality reform, and elevate India’s scientific and technological capacity to global excellence.
The primary objectives of the course are as follows:
- To introduce participants to the legal aspects of cross-border business transactions.
- Familiarize participants with the International laws and conventions that govern this unique area of law;
- Gain an understanding of case law analysis, through the detailed discussion of judicial decisions from prominent legal systems of the world on Cross- Border Business Law and Practice.
- Enable participants to consider critically the effectiveness of the current legal context in achieving the desired policy objectives
- Every legal dispute is linked to a legal system. There is no such thing as an International law. International laws are laws devised by organisations and not a legal system or domestic government. They take on the force of law only when ratified by parliament and hence become part of domestic law.
- Importance of contract: The contract is the governing law of the parties; domestic law is only used to fill the gaps; only mandatory laws can overrule a contractual clause; what law then is applicable if the parties live in different countries?
Who should attend?
- Law students at all levels (BA LL.B. / LL.B. / LL.M. / JD / JSD / Ph.D.)
- Faculty from Law Schools, Universities, Colleges and Institutions of higher education
- Lawyers, In-house Counsels
- Professionals from industry involved in transnational commercial law practice.
- Registration form, along with the latest CV, to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty / Students from academic Institutions are also required to send a copy of their current valid Identity card or a bonafide certificate from their Institution.
- The maximum number of participants will be limited to fifty only.
- As per GIAN Guidelines, candidates of the host institution can fill a maximum 50% of the total seats.
- In the event that the number of applications received exceed 50, a selection criteria identified by the University shall be adapted to shortlist the participants; increasing the no. of seats may also be considered.
The participation fees for taking the course are as follows:
- Participants from outside India: US $400/-
- Professionals / Lawyers / Non-Academics (without accommodation): Rs. 20,000/-
- Students from academic Institutions requiring accommodation (excluding food): Rs. 10,000/-
- Faculty / Students from academic Institutions not requiring accommodation: Rs. 5,000/-
- Faculty and Students from National Law University, Delhi: No Fee
The above fee includes all Instructional materials, classes and internet facility. The participants will be required to pay separately for food / meals. Accommodation may be provided within the University campus only in case of availability, which will be in limited numbers. Preference shall be given to faculty members and outstation candidates.
The Demand Draft is to be made in favour of “Registrar, National Law University, Delhi” and payable at Delhi. Super-scribe on the envelope “MHRD GIAN Course on Cross-Border Business Laws and Practice”
Last date of submission of Application:
1st September, 2016
Short-listed candidates will be intimated by:
10th September, 2016
Prof. (Dr.) G.S. Bajpai
Local GIAN Coordinator
Registrar, NLU Delhi
Dr. Risham Garg
Host Faculty & Course Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Law
Research Director, Center for Transnational Commercial Law (CTCL)
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. R.S. Lakshman
Mr. Arpit Agarwal
Ms. Aasavri Rai
Ms. Tanya Rajwade
Mr. Shubham Gupta
Mr. Neil Shroff
National Law University Delhi,
New Delhi – 110078